A writing contest for budding writers aged 12-18.
Write a story of adventure for a chance to win!
Sundre Municipal Library is hosting a writing contest for residents of the Town of Sundre and Mountain View County.
Participants are invited to write an original high adventure action story. Stories should contain a main character (or characters) that are faced with a series of surprises or unknowns that they must overcome in order to solve the adventure.
Judges will be looking for stories that are complete (contain a beginning, middle and end) and have a series of surprises or unknowns the main characters (s) must resolve. Stories should be free of profanity and appropriate for the escape room format.
Submitted stories should be between 1000-2000 words, approximately 4-8 pages double-spaced.
Contest is open from June 15, 2020 through until midnight on July 31, 2020. All entries are to be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email entries must contain the full first and last name of participant, age of the participant, phone number, email address, as well as the complete story, sent as an attachment as a Word Document or PDF. Participants will receive a confirmation email that their story has been received.
The number of contest winners will be dependent on the number of entries and may range from one to a maximum of three winners. The winning story(ies) will each be used to create an amazing digital escape room that will be shared with the Sundre Library community to enjoy. The Sundre Library Programmer will consult with each winner in the process of turning their story into a digital escape room and credit for the story content will be given to the winning participant.
The following links provide an example of a digital escape room (for reference).
JUMANJI Digital Escape Room - Created by: The County Library (Salt Lake)
Sher-Lock Digital Escape Room - Created by: The County Library (Salt Lake)
Full Contest Rules
• Open to residents of the Town of Sundre and Mountain view County, between the ages of 12 and 18.
• Submissions should be between 1000-2000 words (4-8 pages double spaced)
• Must be an original short story, written by the submitter.
• Submissions must be in English.
• Submissions must be free of profanity.
• Multiple entries are permitted.
• No previously published short stories accepted.
• Contest runs from June 15, 2020 – July 31, 2020.
• Deadline to submit stories is July 31, 2020 11:59 PM MST
• Winner(s) announced on August 15, 2020.
• Participants retain rights to their submissions.
• Participants grant Sundre Municipal Library permission to use their stories to create a digital escape room for use/sharing by the Sundre Municipal Library at the Library's discretion. Acknowledgement and credit for story content will be given to the story author.
Further inquiries can be directed to the Sundre Library Programmer - Joy Willihnganz, email@example.com